May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Rate this Recipe
Serves 8 |
An absolutely amazing dish.
|1/4 lb thick-sliced bacon|
|3 lb boneless beef chuck|
|1/3 cup flour|
|2 tablespoons vegetable oil|
|4 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter|
|1/2 cup brandy|
|1 stalk celery|
|4 fresh parsley stems|
|4 fresh thyme sprigs|
|2 bay leaves|
|2 onions, finely chopped|
|3 cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|2 carrots, cut into thin slices|
|1 tablespoon tomato paste|
|1 bottle dry red wine, 750 ml|
|1 lb pearl onions|
|1 lb mushrooms, quartered|
- Tie celery, parsley, thyme, bay leaves, and cloves together with kitchen string. Cook bacon in boiling salted water 3 minutes, then drain.
- Pat beef dry and season with salt and pepper. Divide flour and beef between 2 large sealable plastic bags, seal, then shake to coat meat.
- Heat 1 tablespoons oil and 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Brown beef well on all sides, adding more oil as needed. Transfer to a bowl.
- Pour off any excess oil from pot, then pour in brandy. Bring to a boil. Remove pot from heat and pour liquid over beef.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in pot, then saute bacon for 2 minutes. Add in chopped onions, garlic, and carrots, then saute for 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Add wine, meat and tied herbs, and partially cover and simmer for about 4 hours. While meat simmers, blanch onions in boiling salted water for 1 minute and drain. Rinse under cold running water, then peel.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute blanched onions until browned. Season with salt and pepper. Add 2 cups water to saucepan and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Bring to a boil and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat remaining tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir onions and mushrooms into stew and cook for 10 minutes. Remove tied herbs and season with salt and pepper.
See Other Recipes Like This
Nothing beats good old-fashioned slow cooked food!
These recipes are full of flavor and easy to make. From classic roasts to hearty stews, there's something for everyone. View Recipes >
Simple Recipes for Fantastic Meals
Delicious meals for the cold weather. They're hearty enough to keep you going, and will satisfy even the hungriest appetite. Whether you're craving beef, pork or chicken, we have you covered. Try a few of these recipes and add them to your collection. Making a wholesome filling meal doesn't have to be hard. View Recipes >