May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Southwest Shepherds Pie
Rate this Recipe
Serves 6 |
This dish is as delicious as it is hearty.
|3 hatch chiles, seeded and chopped|
|1 can corn, 15 oz.|
|1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs|
|2 russet potatoes, peeled and quartered|
|1/2 cup sour cream|
|1 1/2 cups medium heat salsa|
|1/2 onion, chopped|
|1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin|
|1 cup shredded cheddar cheese|
|1/3 cup chopped cilantro|
|1/2 teaspoon salt|
|1 can white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed, 15.5 oz.|
|2 teaspoons minced garlic|
- Pour chopped onion in the bottom of a large slow cooker. Place cannellini beans, chicken thighs and corn on top of onions. Combine garlic, 1 cup salsa, cumin and hatch chiles in a mixing bowl. Bowl mixture over chicken thighs. Place lid on top of slow cooker and cook for 8-10 hours on low heat.
- Shred chicken with a fork. Add cilantro to slow cooker and stir together.
- Place potatoes in a small pot. Season with salt and cover with water. Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cook potatoes for 10 minutes. Drain water, leave potatoes in pot.
- Move one oven rack to top rung of oven and the other to the bottom rung. Turn the broiler to high and place a medium casserole dish in the oven to warm up.
- Add remaining salsa and sour cream to potatoes. Ladle 1/2 cup of the liquid from the slow cooker. Pour in the potatoes and use electric blender to mash together. Repeat process until potatoes become whipped and creamy. Add shredded cheese and stir in.
- Remove casserole dish from oven. Ladle out contents from slow cooker and pour casserole dish. Spoon mashed potatoes on top, spread potatoes out with a fork. Place casserole dish in oven and broil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
See Other Recipes Like This
Fire up the grill for something delicious!
Try something a little different from the ordinary on the grill. Cook up fresh fruits and veggies for a healthy and tasty side. View Recipes >
Enjoy the Deliciousness of Hatch Chiles!
There's a reason hatch chiles are an extremely popular variety of chile, they're spicy but not too hot. They're perfect for nearly every recipe from cornbread to cookies. Try these recipes today! View Recipes >
Easy and Tasty recipes that kids love!
Try out these tried and true classics that kids go bananas over. They're fun, simple and delicious! View Recipes >
Throw something on the barbie!
Summer is here and boy do we have a few delicious recipes for you! Try them out today, you won't regret it! View Recipes >