May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Rib Roast with Roasted Garlic Sauce
Rate this Recipe
Serves 8 |
An ultra delicious and irresistible dish that's great for special occasions.
|8 lbs. prime beef rib roast, 3 to 4 ribs; trimmed|
|1 tablespoon vegetable oil|
|2 heads garlic|
|3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped|
|1/4 cup shallot, minced|
|2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar|
|2 cup dry red wine|
|1 bay leaf|
|4 cup beef broth|
|2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened|
|2 tablespoon flour|
|Salt, to taste|
|Pepper, to taste|
- Preheat oven to 475° F.
- Put roast, ribs side down, in center of a 13- by 9-inch roasting pan and rub all with 1/2 tablespoon oil. Cut about 1/2 inch from tops of garlic heads to expose cloves and discard tops. Rub cut sides of garlic and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons thyme, pressing to adhere. Season beef generously with salt and pepper. Put garlic heads in a double layer of foil and drizzle with remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil. Wrap garlic tightly in foil.
- Roast beef in middle of oven for 30 minutes. Remove beef from oven and with a baster skim all but about 1/2 cup liquids from pan. Reserve removed liquids in a small bowl. Baste beef with remaining liquids in roasting pan. Reduce temperature to 375° F.
- Place foil wrapped garlic in with the roast. Return roasting pan to oven and cook for additional 90 minutes. Remove roasting pan from oven. Transfer garlic to a cooling rack and transfer beef to a platter, reserving pan juices. Let beef stand 25 minutes.
- While beef is standing, remove all but about 2 tablespoons of liquid from roasting pan. (Add removed liquid to the small bowl with other removed liquid.) Transfer the 2 tablespoons of liquid to a small pan. Add shallot to pan and turn stove top burner to medium heat, cook shallot in pan for 2 minutes. Unwrap garlic. Squeeze roasted garlic into shallot mixture and discard skins. Add vinegar, wine, bay leaf, and remaining thyme, boil mixture. Stir mixture and mash garlic with a wooden spatula against bottom of pan, until reduced to about 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl mash together butter and flour. Combine reserved liquid from small bowl to the garlic mixture. Stir together and boil sauce until reduced to about 2 cups. Whisk the butter and flour mixture into the broth mixture and cook for 3 minutes. (Sauce is smooth and slightly thickened.) Pour sauce through a fine sieve into a bowl, removed the solids. Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Cut rib roast into slices, serve with sauce and enjoy!
See Other Recipes Like This
Nothing beats good old-fashioned slow cooked food!
These recipes are full of flavor and easy to make. From classic roasts to hearty stews, there's something for everyone. View Recipes >
Simple Recipes for Fantastic Meals
Delicious meals for the cold weather. They're hearty enough to keep you going, and will satisfy even the hungriest appetite. Whether you're craving beef, pork or chicken, we have you covered. Try a few of these recipes and add them to your collection. Making a wholesome filling meal doesn't have to be hard. View Recipes >