Hi !My Account
Sign in usingFacebook
Why Sign Up?
- Save recipes
- Build shopping lists
- Get personalized food recommendations based on your food and diet preferences
- Access your shopping list and recipes on your mobile device
- Manage email preferences
- Comment and rate recipes
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Easy Authentic Tamales
Rate this Recipe
Serves 16 |
A simple to follow recipe for amazing homemade tamales.
|2 cups water, (plus more)|
|2/3 cup lard|
|1 1/4 lbs pork loin|
|2 cups masa harina, (type of flour)|
|1 clove garlic|
|1 cup sour cream|
|4 chile pods, (dried)|
|11 oz beef broth|
|2 teaspoons salt|
|8 oz cornhusks, (dried)|
|1 onion, (halved)|
|1 teaspoon baking powder|
- In a Dutch oven, add in garlic, pork loins and onion. Fill with water, enough to cover ingredients. Bring contents to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove seeds and stems from chile pods. Place chiles into a saucepan, pour in 2 cups water and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Pour chiles and water into a blender. Puree until smooth. Strain the mixture. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt to chile mix.
- Shred the pork, add in 1 cup of chile mix. Toss together.
- Place cornhusks in a bowl of warm water and let soak. Remove from water and pat dry once well soaked.
- In a separate bowl, beat together a tablespoon of beef broth with lard. Beat until fluffy. Add in remaining salt, masa harina and baking powder. Beat together, add more broth to make spongy dough.
- Spread a thin layer of the dough into the cornhusks, about 1/4 inch thick. Add a tablespoon of pork into the middle and fold sides inward. Steam for 1 hour.
- Remove husks from tamales, drizzle the remaining sauce over each tamale. Top with sour cream.
See Other Recipes Like This
Simple Recipes for Fantastic Meals
Delicious meals for the cold weather. They're hearty enough to keep you going, and will satisfy even the hungriest appetite. Whether you're craving beef, pork or chicken, we have you covered. Try a few of these recipes and add them to your collection. Making a wholesome filling meal doesn't have to be hard. View Recipes >
Fantastic Baking Ideas for the Holidays
Looking to bake something other than plain sugar cookies for the holidays? Check out these fantastic baking ideas! View Recipes >