Hi !My Account
Sign in usingFacebook
Why Sign Up?
- Save recipes
- Build shopping lists
- Get personalized food recommendations based on your food and diet preferences
- Access your shopping list and recipes on your mobile device
- Manage email preferences
- Comment and rate recipes
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Easy Osso Buco
Rate this Recipe
Serves 4 |
A classic Italian dish that’s bursting with flavor.
|4 veal shanks|
|1/2 stick unsalted butter|
|1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil|
|4 brown onions, peeled and thinly sliced|
|1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved|
|1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves|
|1/2 cup flour|
|Kosher salt, to taste|
|Fresh ground black pepper, to taste|
|3 bay leaves|
|4 cloves garlic|
|3 cups veal stock|
|2 tablespoons orange zest|
|1/4 cup parsley, chopped|
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp. of unsalted butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add onions, and cook over medium heat until onions are very soft and lightly colored, stirring often.
- Add tomatoes and thyme and saute for one minute. Transfer onion mixture to a large roasting pan or a casserole dish large enough to hold veal shanks in a single layer, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Return skillet to medium heat, and add remaining butter and olive oil. Flour veal shanks, season with salt and pepper, and add to skillet. Raise heat to medium-high, and saute meat until it is golden brown on both sides. With a slotted spoon, transfer shanks to baking dish, placing meat over onion mixture.
- Add bay leaves, garlic, and 2 1/2 cups of veal stock, to skillet, and scrape up any bits on bottom of the pan. Pour liquid over the veal shanks, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover dish with aluminum foil or a lid and bake for 3 hours.
- Test for doneness, and add remaining stock if most of the liquid has evaporated. Cook another 30 minutes, or until Osso Buco is fully cooked. Serve Osso Buco with grated orange zest and finely chopped parsley.
See Other Recipes Like This
Delicious, Healthy and Easy to Make
Whether you're looking to spice up the regular Fall menu or looking for healthier alternatives, we've got a dish for you. View Recipes >
Eating healthy never tasted so good!
Looking for a healthier option to enjoy for lunch or dinner? Check out these delicious Autumn salads. View Recipes >
The perfect recipes for the school year!
When it comes to the school year, you usually have less time to make breakfast, lunch and dinner. Try these tasty recipes, they're easy, quick and delicious! View Recipes >
Easy and delicious recipes for the big game!
Whip up classic favorites like a hearty chili, baked potato skins and Philly steaks. All your favorite dishes in one place! Don't sweat it on game day, we've got great starters and snacks to make it to the end. Perfect for feeding the whole team. Just be prepared to make seconds, these are the true crowd pleasers! View Recipes >