Hi !My Account
Sign in usingFacebook
Why Sign Up?
- Save recipes
- Build shopping lists
- Get personalized food recommendations based on your food and diet preferences
- Access your shopping list and recipes on your mobile device
- Manage email preferences
- Comment and rate recipes
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
French Onion Soup
Rate this Recipe
Serves 4 |
A rich, easy to prepare soup that makes a great appetizer.
|1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil|
|2 yellow onions, thinly sliced|
|1/4 teaspoon dried thyme|
|2 cups water|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|2 1/2 teaspoons flour|
|1 cup beef broth|
|1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|4 thin slices French bread, toasted|
|2 tablespoons grated Swiss cheese|
|1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese|
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, thyme, and 1 tablespoon of water. Cover; cook for 5 minutes. Uncover; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until onions are golden, stirring, about 15 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the flour; reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the broth, remaining water, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil; skim off foam. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat broiler. Place 4 heat-proof bowls on a baking sheet; ladle soup into bowls. Top each with a slice of toast; sprinkle with Swiss and Parmesan. Broil until cheese is bubbly, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.
|Cooking Method:||Boil, Broil, Pan-Fry|
See Other Recipes Like This
Warm up with delicious soup!
It doesn't get much better than sitting down with a big bowl of homemade soup as the temperatures drop outside. View Recipes >
The Tastiest Dishes for the Best Championship Games
Grab your brackets, invite your buddies, and don't forget the snacks! College Basketball's shining moment is finally here and we have a spread fit for the Big Dance, with sliders, quesadillas, and the ultimate dips! View Recipes >
Enjoy these wonderful dishes
Try out these delicious seafood recipes. We have a great variety of fish and preparation methods. Everything from the classic baked salmon to the unique grilled mahi mahi. Find a new favorite today! View Recipes >