Hi !My Account
Sign in usingFacebook
Why Sign Up?
- Save recipes
- Build shopping lists
- Get personalized food recommendations based on your food and diet preferences
- Access your shopping list and recipes on your mobile device
- Manage email preferences
- Comment and rate recipes
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
French Onion Soup
Rate this Recipe
Serves 4 |
A rich, easy to prepare soup that makes a great appetizer.
|1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil|
|2 yellow onions, thinly sliced|
|1/4 teaspoon dried thyme|
|2 cups water|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|2 1/2 teaspoons flour|
|1 cup beef broth|
|1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|4 thin slices French bread, toasted|
|2 tablespoons grated Swiss cheese|
|1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese|
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, thyme, and 1 tablespoon of water. Cover; cook for 5 minutes. Uncover; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until onions are golden, stirring, about 15 minutes.
- Add garlic; saute for 1 minute. Add the flour; reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the broth, remaining water, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil; skim off foam. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat broiler. Place 4 heat-proof bowls on a baking sheet; ladle soup into bowls. Top each with a slice of toast; sprinkle with Swiss and Parmesan. Broil until cheese is bubbly, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.
|Cooking Method:||Broil, Pan-Fry, Boil|
See Other Recipes Like This
Delicious, Healthy and Easy to Make
Whether you're looking to spice up the regular Fall menu or looking for healthier alternatives, we've got a dish for you. View Recipes >
Warm up with delicious soup!
It doesn't get much better than sitting down with a big bowl of homemade soup as the temperatures drop outside. View Recipes >
Eating healthy never tasted so good!
Looking for a healthier option to enjoy for lunch or dinner? Check out these delicious Autumn salads. View Recipes >
Delicious recipes for the afternoon
Who said brown bag lunches have to be a sandwich and apple? View Recipes >
Easy and delicious recipes for the big game!
Whip up classic favorites like a hearty chili, baked potato skins and Philly steaks. All your favorite dishes in one place! Don't sweat it on game day, we've got great starters and snacks to make it to the end. Perfect for feeding the whole team. Just be prepared to make seconds, these are the true crowd pleasers! View Recipes >