Hi !My Account
Sign in usingFacebook
Why Sign Up?
- Save recipes
- Build shopping lists
- Get personalized food recommendations based on your food and diet preferences
- Access your shopping list and recipes on your mobile device
- Manage email preferences
- Comment and rate recipes
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Rate this Recipe
Serves 8 |
An absolutely amazing dish that's almost too good to be true.
|1/4 lb. thick-sliced bacon|
|3 lb. beef chuck, boneless|
|1/3 cup flour|
|2 tablespoon vegetable oil|
|5 tablespoon unsalted butter|
|1/2 cup brandy|
|4 fresh parsley stems|
|4 sprigs fresh thyme|
|2 bay leaves|
|2 onions, finely chopped|
|3 cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|2 carrots, cut into 1/4" thick slices|
|1 tablespoon tomato paste|
|1 bottle dry red wine, preferably Burgundy or Côtes du Rhône|
|1 lb. pearl onions|
|1 lb. mushrooms, quartered if large|
- Cook bacon in boiling salted water 3 minutes, then drain.
- Pat beef dry and season with salt and pepper. Divide flour and beef between 2 (1 quart) sealable plastic bags, seal, then shake to coat meat.
- Heat 1 tablespoons oil and 1.5 tablespoons butter in a wide 6 to 8 quart heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then brown beef well on all sides in 2 or 3 batches, without crowding, adding remaining tablespoon oil as needed. Transfer to a bowl.
- Pour off any excess oil from pot, then add brandy to pot. Deglaze by boiling over high heat 1 minute, stirring and scraping up brown bits, then pour over beef.
- Add chopped onions, garlic, and carrots, then saute, stirring, until onions are pale golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add wine, meat with juices, and bouquet garni and simmer gently, partially covered, until meat is tender, 3.5 to 4 hours. While meat simmers, blanch onions in boiling salted water 1 minute and drain in a colander. Rinse under cold
- running water, then peel.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a 3 quart heavy saucepan over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then saute blanched onions, stirring occasionally, until browned in patches. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 cups water (1.5 cups if using pearl onions), then simmer, partially covered, until onions are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced to a glaze, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Heat remaining tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, and then saute mushrooms, stirring, until golden brown and any liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir onions and mushrooms into stew and cook 10 minutes. Remove bouquet garni and skim any fat from surface of stew. Season with salt and pepper.
See Other Recipes Like This
Simple Recipes for Fantastic Meals
Delicious meals for the cold weather. They're hearty enough to keep you going, and will satisfy even the hungriest appetite. Whether you're craving beef, pork or chicken, we have you covered. Try a few of these recipes and add them to your collection. Making a wholesome filling meal doesn't have to be hard. View Recipes >
Fantastic Baking Ideas for the Holidays
Looking to bake something other than plain sugar cookies for the holidays? Check out these fantastic baking ideas! View Recipes >