Hi !My Account
Sign in usingFacebook
Why Sign Up?
- Save recipes
- Build shopping lists
- Get personalized food recommendations based on your food and diet preferences
- Access your shopping list and recipes on your mobile device
- Manage email preferences
- Comment and rate recipes
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Ancho-Spiced Beef Stew
Rate this Recipe
Serves 6 |
Hearty, flavorful and cooked to perfection.
|2 lbs. beef chuck shoulder pot roast, cut into 1" pieces|
|2 ancho chiles, dried|
|1 cup boiling water|
|3 tablespoons cornmeal|
|1/2 tsp. salt|
|1 tablespoon ground cumin|
|2 tablespoons vegetable oil|
|2 cans spicy tomatoes, diced|
|2 sweet potatoes, peeled,cut into 3/4 inch pieces|
|for topping chopped red onion, chopped fresh cilantro, sour cream, lime wedges (optional)|
- Remove and discard stems and seeds from chiles. Pour boiling water over chiles in medium bowl; let stand 20 minutes or until chiles are softened. Drain chilies, reserving 1/2 cup of liquid. Place chiles, reserved 1/2 cup liquid, cornmeal and 1/2 teaspoon salt in food processor container. Cover; process until smooth. Set aside.
- Coat beef with cumin. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown half of beef; remove from stockpot. Repeat with remaining oil and beef. Pour off drippings; return beef to stockpot. Add tomatoes and ancho chile mixture to stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1.75 hours.
- Add sweet potatoes to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and continue cooking 25 to 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes and beef are fork-tender, stirring once.
- Serve stew with Toppings, as desired.
|Cooking Method:||Slow Cooker|
The Tastiest Dishes for the Best Championship Games
Grab your brackets, invite your buddies, and don't forget the snacks! College Basketball's shining moment is finally here and we have a spread fit for the Big Dance, with sliders, quesadillas, and the ultimate dips! View Recipes >
Enjoy these wonderful dishes
Try out these delicious seafood recipes. We have a great variety of fish and preparation methods. Everything from the classic baked salmon to the unique grilled mahi mahi. Find a new favorite today! View Recipes >