Hi !My Account
Sign in usingFacebook
Why Sign Up?
- Save recipes
- Build shopping lists
- Get personalized food recommendations based on your food and diet preferences
- Access your shopping list and recipes on your mobile device
- Manage email preferences
- Comment and rate recipes
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Ancho-Spiced Beef Stew
Rate this Recipe
Serves 6 |
Hearty, flavorful and cooked to perfection.
|2 lbs. beef chuck shoulder pot roast, cut into 1" pieces|
|2 ancho chiles, dried|
|1 cup boiling water|
|3 tablespoons cornmeal|
|1/2 tsp. salt|
|1 tablespoon ground cumin|
|2 tablespoons vegetable oil|
|2 cans spicy tomatoes, diced|
|2 sweet potatoes, peeled,cut into 3/4 inch pieces|
|for topping chopped red onion, chopped fresh cilantro, sour cream, lime wedges (optional)|
- Remove and discard stems and seeds from chiles. Pour boiling water over chiles in medium bowl; let stand 20 minutes or until chiles are softened. Drain chilies, reserving 1/2 cup of liquid. Place chiles, reserved 1/2 cup liquid, cornmeal and 1/2 teaspoon salt in food processor container. Cover; process until smooth. Set aside.
- Coat beef with cumin. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown half of beef; remove from stockpot. Repeat with remaining oil and beef. Pour off drippings; return beef to stockpot. Add tomatoes and ancho chile mixture to stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1.75 hours.
- Add sweet potatoes to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and continue cooking 25 to 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes and beef are fork-tender, stirring once.
- Serve stew with Toppings, as desired.
|Cooking Method:||Slow Cooker|
Delicious, Healthy and Easy to Make
Whether you're looking to spice up the regular Fall menu or looking for healthier alternatives, we've got a dish for you. View Recipes >
Enjoy the Deliciousness of Hatch Chiles!
There's a reason hatch chiles are an extremely popular variety of chile, they're spicy but not too hot. They're perfect for nearly every recipe from cornbread to cookies. Try these recipes today! View Recipes >
The perfect recipes for the school year!
When it comes to the school year, you usually have less time to make breakfast, lunch and dinner. Try these tasty recipes, they're easy, quick and delicious! View Recipes >
Easy and delicious recipes for the big game!
Whip up classic favorites like a hearty chili, baked potato skins and Philly steaks. All your favorite dishes in one place! Don't sweat it on game day, we've got great starters and snacks to make it to the end. Perfect for feeding the whole team. Just be prepared to make seconds, these are the true crowd pleasers! View Recipes >