Hi !My Account
Sign in usingFacebook
Why Sign Up?
- Save recipes
- Build shopping lists
- Get personalized food recommendations based on your food and diet preferences
- Access your shopping list and recipes on your mobile device
- Manage email preferences
- Comment and rate recipes
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Ancho-Spiced Beef Stew
Rate this Recipe
Serves 6 |
Hearty, flavorful and cooked to perfection.
|2 lbs. beef chuck shoulder pot roast, cut into 1" pieces|
|2 ancho chiles, dried|
|1 cup boiling water|
|3 tablespoons cornmeal|
|1/2 tsp. salt|
|1 tablespoon ground cumin|
|2 tablespoons vegetable oil|
|2 cans spicy tomatoes, diced|
|2 sweet potatoes, peeled,cut into 3/4 inch pieces|
|for topping chopped red onion, chopped fresh cilantro, sour cream, lime wedges (optional)|
- Remove and discard stems and seeds from chiles. Pour boiling water over chiles in medium bowl; let stand 20 minutes or until chiles are softened. Drain chilies, reserving 1/2 cup of liquid. Place chiles, reserved 1/2 cup liquid, cornmeal and 1/2 teaspoon salt in food processor container. Cover; process until smooth. Set aside.
- Coat beef with cumin. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown half of beef; remove from stockpot. Repeat with remaining oil and beef. Pour off drippings; return beef to stockpot. Add tomatoes and ancho chile mixture to stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1.75 hours.
- Add sweet potatoes to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and continue cooking 25 to 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes and beef are fork-tender, stirring once.
- Serve stew with Toppings, as desired.
|Cooking Method:||Slow Cooker|
Simple Recipes for Fantastic Meals
Delicious meals for the cold weather. They're hearty enough to keep you going, and will satisfy even the hungriest appetite. Whether you're craving beef, pork or chicken, we have you covered. Try a few of these recipes and add them to your collection. Making a wholesome filling meal doesn't have to be hard. View Recipes >
Fantastic Baking Ideas for the Holidays
Looking to bake something other than plain sugar cookies for the holidays? Check out these fantastic baking ideas! View Recipes >